Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sometimes I still feel like a kid...

You know that feeling you get when you walk into a room of people you respect a lot? You feel awed, somewhat inadequate, and never on par with where those people are at. You instantly think you could never do whatever it is that they do. I still feel that way much of the time. When it comes to my plans to pursue the ministry, I feel like that all the time. I look at my Dad and Joel, the things they do, and think to myself, "I could never do that." "I'm not creative enough or I don't know enough yet."

Yet, all throughout my life, whether it be teachers, pastors, whoever... I've been told how gifted they think I am and how much I'm capable of doing. I think sometimes I'm well aware of what I'm capable of, and yet that knowledge freezes me on the spot. How do I use that potential? It used to be, "Do I go into the ministry, do I pursue music more diligently, do I write more often and try to be an author?" Then, I stop. I just root myself in place and tell myself that if I can't decide, I'll just exist for a while. That's never gotten me anywhere.

So, what's my solution to that dilemma? I do them all. One day at a time, I put my efforts towards getting good at all the things that I ever wanted to be god at. That's all I can do. And while I enjoy it, there's always a bit of stress involved. Practice takes time, marriage takes time, providing takes time, pursuing a relationship with God takes time, and what am I left with? Certainly not time. I think that's why my times at night are so precious to me. It's the only time I can be by myself and process where I'm at.

I know God has great things in store. What they are, I have no idea. I would love to do something with Church in Uptown more heavily eventually. But I also want to be open to go wherever I'm needed. I think, however, that, Like my father before me, I'm not a short term type of person. I want to be able to give my life and calling to a place. To a body of people. Not for a year or two like an average pastor, but for 25 years like my Dad did in Fargo. I think that's how I'm wired. We'll see. I'm just trying to keep my head above water most of the time. But admitting that is the first step to moving forward.

No comments: