Thursday, October 23, 2008

Asleep In The Light

by Keith Green

Do you see, do you see, all the people sinking down,
Don't you care, don't you care, are you gonna let them drown,
How can you be so numb, not to care if they come,
You close your eyes and pretend the job's done.
Oh Bless me Lord, bless me Lord, you know it's all I ever hear,
No one aches, no one hurts, no one even sheds one tear,
But He cries, He weeps, He bleeds, and He cares for your needs,
And you just lay back and keep soaking it in, oh, can't you see it's such sin?
Cause He brings people to your door,
And you turn them away, as you smile and say,
God bless you, be at peace, and all Heaven just weeps,
Cause Jesus came to your door, you've left Him out on the streets.
Open up, open up, and give yourself away,
You've seen the need, you hear the cry, so how can you delay,
God's calling and you're the one, but like Jonah you run,
He's told you to speak, but you keep holding it in,
Oh, can't you see it's such sin?
The world is sleeping in the dark,
That the church can't fight, cause it's asleep in the light,
How can you be so dead, when you've been so well fed,
Jesus rose from the grave, and you, you can't even get out of bed,
Oh, Jesus rose from the dead, come on, get out of your bed.
How can you be so numb, not to care if they come,
You close your eyes and pretend the job's done,
You close your eyes and pretend the job's done,
Don't close your eyes, don't pretend the job's done.
Come away, come away, come away with Me, My love,
Come away, from this mess, come away with Me, My love.

I've been fascinated with the life and music of Keith Green for some time now, but it's only been recently that I've really listened closely to what he really said. Though I think there's always a balance to be given, and even Keith in his later years admitted he was somewhat brash in his approach, I also think there's a time to allow conviction to speak to you.

This song, in particular, was one I always avoided because I felt it was too preachy and somewhat condescending. Then, as I've gotten older, I see all the same types of things the apostles said on a regular basis. Jesus even rebuked the disciples on several occasions for not being vigilant in their purpose, to see the world come to knowledge of the Son of God. James even said, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." Notice what he said first. To look after widows and orphans in their distress. He put ministering to people as the priority.

I do think that particularly in our generation, we've seen ministry and evangelism in particular as lost arts or as hopeless. We see a world where it's hard to distinguish between someone in need and someone trying to take advantage of you. I suppose the bigger question should be, does that really even matter? Does the person trying to take advantage of you need Jesus less? I would say quite the opposite. Now, in accordance with keeping balance, we should never willingly allow ourselves to be taken advantage of. However, we should look to find ways to turn that into an opportunity for Christ to speak through us. And I'm preaching to the choir here, believe me.

Where I live in Uptown Minneapolis, there's a beggar or group of beggars, situated on just about every corner. If I gave every one of them a quarter every time I passed them, I'd be broke in a couple of weeks. But more disturbing to me is my own tendency to either say something soulless and obligatory to them, or to ignore them altogether. I know this isn't right, but I don't think I've quite figured out how to engage them. Should that mean that I see that as a sign that I'm not meant to? Well, if I look at Jesus and how He was towards people, I'd have to say no. Everyone needs Jesus. Plain and simple. The question is how? How do we meet them where they're at and minister to their needs just as Jesus does to our own?

I think what Keith calls attention to is the tendency to think someone else will do it if we don't. I don't think that's the case. I just have to wrestle with myself about this issue. I'm selfish by nature. I see it all the time. God, allow me to see through Your eyes just once.

No comments: